A few hundred yards from Nottingham castle stands the Salutation Inn or the Sal as it is better known by the local community and those who frequent it. Built around the 15th century it is reputed to be one of the oldest pubs in England.
According to a date on the apex wall this building dates back to 1240 AD, it is thought that the building then was owned by a tanner with the ground floor being used as his workshop and the upper floor as living quarters for him and his staff.
During its long history the building is also reputed to have been a brothel and a recruiting station for Cromwell's army and the Royalist during the English Civil War.
Below the inn there is a series of caves, which are thought to have been
dwelling dating from the 12th Century. The most active spirit is that of a four-year-old girl, she is reported to be very playful and has been seen on many occasions.
The inn is also reported to be haunted by a previous landlord who supposedly poisoned himself by accident.
There are reports of sightings of a highwayman who has been seen wielding his guns.
The caves are so frightening that people refuse to stay in them for very long and refuse to go back in, even those most hardened ghost hunters have been known to make a quick exit and show no wish to return in a hurry.